Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Getting Ready

I'm starting to prepare for our new school year. I'm aiming at our start date for the beginning of September. I still haven't gotten all our curriculum yet. I'm hoping to buy RightStart Math in September. We've never used it before but it has gotten some great reviews. It uses a different approach than most math curriculum. It incorporates a lot of games and hands on manipulates that I think my kids will love! No more drill and kill for us. The link to it is in my right sidebar.

I'm also waiting on some readers to come for Skywalker. He has been struggling with reading since we started homeschooling. I took him to a development optometrist in June who diagnosed him with saccadic eye movement deficiency, which is the ability to look from one object to the next quickly and accurately. In other words he has issues with tracking. The doctor has given me therapies to work with him on at home, and I'm suppose to take him in once a month to be reevaluated. Skywalker hates the therapy but has made some improvements. He used to rub his eyes a lot when he was reading and now he doesn't do so much any more. It just hard keeping him inside to work with him when the neighborhood kids keep coming over!

No comments:

Post a Comment